JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Job Title: Group catering – Cook
Location: Padley Developement Centre, 68 Rutland Street, Derby, DE23 8PR & Padley Homeless Centre, 3 Becket Street, Derby, DE1 1HT
Reports to: Group Catering Manager
Hours of work: 30 hours per week.
Salary: £12,214.80 + Employers 3% pension (pro-rata)
Since 1985, Padley has been working with the homeless, poorest and most marginalised people in society. Padley has a tremendous heritage in Derby, making it one of Derby’s longest established charities. Padley is a diverse organisation, providing a broad range of services to vulnerable people in the local community.
The Group Cook role, is a key role within the organisation. The role will support the preparation of meals to provide healthy meals using mainly food donations to service users, volunteers and employees of Padley Group, and will support the Group Catering Manager in the development of the Catering service.
Key responsibilities of the role include preparation of healthy meals to a planned menu and management of the kitchen to maintain the 5 star rating from Environmental Health.
This is an important role providing an opportunity for involvement in wide ranging activity and to join an established charity with exciting development plans.
Overall role purpose:
- Operation of kitchens, kitchen equipment and storage areas at Padley’s catering facilities to a standard which meets all environmental and health & safety requirements.
- With the assistance of Volunteers prepare, cook and serve meals in the Group premises for service users, employees and volunteers
- Ensuring all meals are healthy, nutritious and well presented.
- Preparation of food to meet consumption requirements of the Day Centre over weekend and holiday periods, ensuring explicit instructions are left for completion and serving.
- Support the Group Catering Manager in the development of innovative additional options to increase income in cost effective ways.
- Control of stocks and request replenishment as required.
- Support the Group Catering Manager in the management of the consumption of Harvest and other donations.
- Control waste to a minimum.
- Recognising the multi-site environment and the changing needs of the Padley Group, to work with the Group Catering Manager, and others, to ensure that the catering facilities meet the organisational needs.
- Operate as a member of the catering team and wider staff team in The Padley group
- Carry out other tasks/activities as required by the organisation.
- Complete any training identified as necessary for the fulfillment of the post.
- Ability to prepare meals to a time table,
- A great communicator with people from diverse backgrounds
- Supporting colleagues to understand and comply with food hygiene requirements
- Experience of preparing healthy meals in a busy kitchen is essential
- Experience of working with Volunteers is desirable
- Experience of working with vulnerable adults is desirable.
- Knowledge of Food Hygiene regulations is essential
- A basic food hygiene certificate is essential.
- A Health and safety certificate is desirable.
- A self starter able to operate with limited supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, able to work across the organisation for a common goal
- Broad communication skills to support relationships across the organisation.
For more information and to apply for this role please contact Marckas on 01332 774480 or [email protected]